As I've written many, many times before on this blog; Once you stop writing, even for a week or two, it gets very difficult to get back into it. The longer you leave it, the longer the list of things you have to write about gets. It becomes a daunting task. Without further ado...

First things first, and with updates demanded from parents, grandparents and even members of the Twitterati: The girls I mentioned in my previous post - now enjoying almost rockstar-like fame after the coverage they received on the Egyptian blogosphere - are fine, doing well and by most accounts enjoying their time here. When I saw Katie a few weekends ago, she was looking well and was raving about teaching English at the university. They eventually managed to navigate the Egyptian judicial system and get the man pardoned and let off with the beatings he'd already received.

Andrea is also doing well - she's admirably determined to read the impossibly difficult novels she is given each weekend, and has far more patience with them than I would have. The content seems to range from the sublime to the ridiculous, and the books seem to have a consistently depressing and/or violent theme. Just how you want to spend a weekend!

As for me, well I'm working hard, keeping busy, and still very much enjoying the madness of life in Cairo. Teaching is going well, although 4 evenings a week somewhat takes its toll. I've also started teaching a private student, which is great fun. She's a marketing manager at a firm owned by her and her husband and we have a good time practising business emails and discussing articles I find each week.

A few weeks ago Son of a Duck, SoD's housemate John and I headed for an only-in-Egypt style adventure to a camel market a little ways north of Cairo. I hope to write fully about this soon, for now I recommend SoD's thorough entry on our excursion.

I'm currently excitedly preparing for short break in Pakistan, I leave on Tuesday, arrive on Wednesday, see Michael (of Michael in Pakistan) ordained at the cathedral on Sunday, and am back in Cairo on Monday in time to teach Level 2. International flights are a wonderful thing.

In addition to packing, teaching, Meedan-ing and writing, I'm looking at options for next year. As fun as this year is/has been, I'd really like to find something a little more financially consistent and stable for next year. Suggestions on a postcard! I'm currently preparing applications for scholarships in various locales.

All for now, more soon. I'll try and figure out a way of blogging each day whilst in Pakistan to let everyone know I'm well and safe, although this may rely on Andrea relaying posts as I will be sans internet for a few days after I arrive.

One final thing; a word of congratulations to my granddad Philip Slack, from whom it seems I have inherited most of my good looks, who yesterday got married to Vivien. Sorry I couldn't be there, I hope my message reached you safely.

Salam and, as always, thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.