Being 21 allows me to:

  • Adopt a child.
  • Supervise a learner driver if you have held, and still hold, a full licence for that type of car for at least three years. You can apply for a provisional licence to drive a large passenger vehicle.
  • Obtain a flight navigator’s licence, a flight engineer’s licence or an airline transport pilot’s licence to fly an aeroplane, helicopter or gyroplane.
  • Be sent to prison if I receive a custodial sentence.
  • Become a Member of Parliament, a local councillor or a local mayor.
  • Drink in the US (something that has only recently become relevant).

Friday 14th March 2008 was my 21st birthday. Birthdays are usually something I’m fairly ambivalent towards, this year especially as I’m so far away from family and the plans I’d made with Andrea had been left up the chute (Alan loves...?). A few times in recent weeks I had sort of half-said perhaps we should maybe go possibly for drinks on Thursday night, as I was coming to Cairo on Friday for dinner with Michael (who was in town along with 36 children from his school in Karachi), but by Thursday my plans had progressed no further, and, with some gentle persuasion from Tall Tom I agreed to drinks at our place. We agreed 7ish-8ish and went to Miami to get a haircut. This story is for another entry; sadly I didn’t get any pictures. I went home and chatted briefly to Andrea before her computer decided it was lactose intolerant and stopped playing. Tom ordered in some beers and I put on a shirt, blew up some balloons and put up some of the birthday paraphernalia sent from the UK by my darling mother. By half eight, I admit to being slightly perturbed at the poor showing from my friends, although I was enjoying beer and chocolate covered dates with almonds with Sian, Aala and Dalia who had come along. Suddenly I was rushed out of the flat in a flurry of balloons (beautifully pluralised “Balaneen” in Arabic) and packed into Shams’ car before being whisked off, with a few pickup stops, to a mystery destination. This was a well organised and nicely executed kidnapping with no warning. My only suspicions had been aroused when Tom uncharacteristically beat me at Pro Evolution Soccer earlier in the day. Arriving at a flat in the holiday complex of Mamora I was greeted by all my friends from TAFL and a load of the guys from rugby. An excellent party ensued with plenty of Egyptian beer and foreign booze, no complaining neighbours and a pleasantly warm evening. I’m not entirely sure who to thank, the organisers and helpers have kept themselves very quiet, but THANKYOU to all involved, you know who you are. I had an awesome night and couldn’t have asked for a better birthday bash, I hope you had a good night. Thankyou!

After catching up on some sleep I boarded the 3 o’clock to Cairo to meet Michael and his school. I had a nice meal and a fun weekend meeting and getting to know the young ladies and gentlemen of the British Overseas School Karachi, whose behaviour, manners and enthusiasm were exemplary, and whom I look forward to seeing in Karachi in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the party and for all the birthday wishes, I’d love to respond to everyone individually but this week is going to be crazy as I try and do mid-term exams as well as preparing for my trip to Karachi on Friday. All for now, hopefully more before I leave!

Lots of love,

Txx

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    We all missed you at Wendolene's 40th - sounds like you had a fun night for your 21st ... and I hope that as of next year we can be 21 again so that I can actually see you - it also gives u another year before 30 - as you know, you're closer to it than I :p

    Hope all is well, sending my best and rather anxios over the whereabouts of my headset ... but speak to you soon hopefully and happs birth again.

    Lx

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.