This update is being written from Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport – an oddly designed bike wheel shaped place with a landing runway so far from the terminal I could swear we were in France – which, yet again, has no free WiFi access. Astonishing. The journey thus far has been pleasant enough and I had enjoyed a long morning with my family before I set off buying last minute essentials such as swimming shorts and Earl Grey and eating croissants. They (my family not the croissants) came in particularly handyy when I belatedly discovered that my baggage allowance was not the meagre 20 kilos I’d previously bemoaned, but rather a generous 2 piece deal each of which could weigh up to a hefty 23 kilos. At this point I hoisted my darling brother into the loft to dig out a hard case for a guitar which (Inshallah) will still be in one piece on arrival in Cairo and will not cut the solitary, unplayed figure I described in my previous missal.

Worryingly, all the news this morning on the Twitosphere was of a swine flu outbreak at the AUC which had led to the short term cancellation of all classes but I couldn’t get hold of Andrea to find out more details. After a difficult first few days back with lost luggage and an excruciatingly long flight I think pig flu might be one straw too many on the back of a proverbial camel. It seems the tactic of burying pigs alive in their thousands hasn’t paid off then. Who knew? Interestingly, the guy sat opposite me is wearing one of those ominous looking face masks that became “de mode” at the height of the outbreak. I say he’s wearing it, he’s posing in it – round his neck as an attention seeking salute to swine flu. I’m just guessing, but I don’t think they are particularly effective unless they actually cover your mouth and nose. Maybe he got his info from the same source as the Egyptian government.

More later from Cairo when I arrive and secure some internet, for now here’s what I’m listening to and here’s what I’m reading.


(Later) Right, arrived in Cairo after a long taxi ride with a guy who had no idea how to get into the centre of town from the airport - it's scary that after a year away I still knew the way better than him. Off now for some much needed food - there are rumours that my first meal is, very appropriately, going to be the spicy sauced carb fest of kosharee at Filfila. Wonderful. Flat hunting starts tomorrow - I'll provide a more comprehensive update at some point later on.

3 Comments:

  1. Ben and Fiona said...
    So all that deliberating as to what to pack and leave out was somewhat unnecessary. At least you got to take the guitar.
    Angela said...
    Thank you, Tom! Keep up the good work. Lots of love, Mum xXx
    Hazel said...
    Glad you managed to take your guitar Tom! It saddened me to see you saddened at the thought of leaving it behind. I hope you're enjoying the chaos of Cairo and have found somewhere to live. Khali balak 3la nafsak! x

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.